If you are a techie like me, you must hound every single latest bit of technology being introduced into the world. First off there was a new enthralling introduction of fingerprint recognition sensors.
This piece of technology caused much hype and sensation, with every tech company working up various ways to create the fastest sensor. However, I am so psyched after knowing that the fingerprint sensor is definitely old school now!
For those of you, who feed on tech news would definitely know what I am talking about. Yeah, the latest vein recognition sensor! This impressive bit has caused much hype into the technological world. It seems promising as a fresh approach towards cybersecurity.
After the introduction of WiFi 6, another tech breakthrough within a year seems very promising!
Well enough of going on about how finger vein recognition is the new sensation let’s pour some light over what it is and how it works.
What is finger vein recognition?
Vein recognition is a relatively new biometric authentication method. It uses a pattern recognition method.
This method is based on the images of human veins present beneath the surface of the skin. The vascular pattern present beneath the surface of the skin is different from every individual.
The tech developers have exploited this fact and created the finger vein recognition system. This system basically uses this vascular pattern and a near-infrared light camera.
Vein recognition method can be used to identify individuals as well as for identity verification.
How finger vein recognition works?
It basically works like any other typical biometric authentication machine. By capturing the target’s image > processing its data > compare it to the previously stored data of that person.
Now let’s have a proper insight on how finger vein recognition works.
Very much like our fingerprints our finger or palm veins- that are the tiny blood vessels present underneath the skin, carrying deoxygenated blood, are spread out in a very unique way.
Now, this method uses this unique pattern as an individual’s identity. It is based on the use of near infrared rays and the way the hemoglobin present within the veins reacts to it.
The deoxidized blood present within the veins can absorb infrared light. Therefore if an image of the finger or palm is taken with a near-infrared light camera, the veins present in the palm or the finger appear as a dark pattern of lines.
The system first asks to set up a parent data which is stored in the memory. The parent data contains a person’s information. This data is basically a person’s identity.
Once the data is stored, it is used to compare every time a person wants to gain access.
How finger vein recognition differs
There has been a general comparison of fingerprint and finger vein recognition method. However, finger vein recognition has more priority over fingerprint recognition.
Allow me to explain these differences to you:
- Fingerprint sensors are known to have a lower level of accuracy as compared to finger vein recognition. It is known to have a low false rejection rate and false acceptance rate.
- Fingerprint recognition requires a person to touch the device, so there is a hygiene issue to it. On the other hand finger vein, recognition is hygienic as there it doesn’t require a person to touch the device
- Fingerprint system can be affected by scars, cuts burns, wrinkles, weather or other external factors. These factors may hinder in their performance. Finger vein recognition as though works on veins which are unchangeable so there are no issues towards it.
- The fingerprint technology is known to require maintenance as constant contact with the device dirties it up. It requires regular cleaning. However, a finger vein recognition device doesn’t need much cleaning as it doesn’t need a connection.
- There are high chances of forgery as well as duplication in fingerprint recognition. This is because it leaves prints behind on the device. Due to this, it is easy to copy them and use a counterfeit. Now as finger vein recognition works on veins of a living human, it is nearly impossible to forge them.
Benefits of finger vein recognition
Biometric system of authentication is known to be the most reliable form of authentication. This method is a new era of technology. Vein recognition is, however, a definite breakthrough.
Vein recognition system comes up with some benefits which are as follows:
This method of biometric authentication is far more reliable as it is difficult to forge. Unlike other biometric scans which scan things that are present on the surface
Vein recognition, however, works on scanning the veins present under the skin. This scan is done only on living humans which is why it is nearly impossible to forge it
Vein recognition is a contact-free method. That means a person is not required to make contact with the device for the scan to go through with.
This is why this method is much more hygienic as compared to other touch-based systems.
- Low Maintenance
As this technology requires less or no contact with the device. In other authentication methods, a person is required to touch the device.
In finger vein recognition as it is contact-free, therefore it is not necessary to clean the equipment at regular intervals.
- Remains unaffected by external factors
Factors like age, wrinkles, weather, etc. can not affect the performance of a vein recognition system. This is because it is a subdermal type of technology that means it remains uninfluenced by wet or dry weather.
Wrinkles appearing on hands and skin can also not affect this method as it works on the veins which remain unchanged throughout life.
Disadvantages of finger vein recognition
Everything is known to have advantages as well as disadvantages. As I am to provide an unbiased view, so let’s have a look at its cons:
- As this method is relatively new, so the technology is expensive. Due to this, it is only accessible to a few companies and organizations
- People suffering from arthritis cant use it as they can’t balance their limbs properly. Also, it would be difficult to place their hand on the scanner.
- This technology is still not that reachable to the world, and some cultures refuse to use it.
- It uses veins for identity. This could cause some people to be apprehensive about it.
Hyped up about this technology? This fascinating bit is indeed intriguing and is something I wish gets available in the market soon. Even its advantages outweigh its disadvantages. Now, let’s hope it really turns out to be as fulfilling as it sounds!